Silhouette di Siena

Inside the Monument

Click on sensible areas.

High altar Capel 1 Capel 2 Capel 3 Capel 4 Capel 5 Capel 6 Capel 7 Capel 8 Crucifix Choir and organ Annunciation Annunciation Medallion Medallion

Monument map
 

The panorama inside the Monument

The vestry

The cemetery crypt and the Petrucci's family tomb

The cell of S. Bernardino

The Pandolfo's loggia, the back terrace and the panorama

The external cloister and the internal court

 


 

The 16th century wooden choir and the organ pipes

  • The 16th century wooden choir and the above organ pipes are recent works constructed in a Renaissance style;, on the walls at the top and sides of the choir is a mural painted by Pietro degli Orioli with a Madonna and Child Jesus with St. Jerome and San Giovanni Battista.

Deepening: 16th century choir

 

 

 

Top

Choir and organ pipes

Rose window

The wooden crucifix

  • Built by Father Ierone, contemporary sculptor, a wooden crucifix dominates the high altar in place of the original crucifix by Pietro Lando, broken by the explosions of 1944 and which remained, in the museum Aurelio Castelli, only the beautiful head of Christ with a prayer written on parchment and posted by the author inside the skull cap.

Deepening: Wooden crucifix

Top

Wooden crucifix

The high altar

  • The high altar and the altars of the eight side chapels built in severe stone are attributed to the architect Egisto Bellini.

Deepening: High altar

Top

High altar

The annunciation

  • On the sides of the main arch that divides the nave from the transept, in two stucco niches of the 16th century, one can admire two beautiful statues in glassy terracotta, depicting on the left the Archangel Gabriel and on the right the Virgin Announced; they are works of Andrea della Robbia dating back to the 15th century.

Deepening: Angel of the Annunciation

Deepening: Virgin of the Annunciation

 

 

 

Top

Angel of the Annunciation

Virgin of the Annunciation

Chapel 1

  • A Crucifixion with Saints, frescoes of the 16th century is attributed to Bartolomeo Neroni, Riccio said.

  • A San Antonio, multicolored wooden statue of the 16th century Florentine school.

Deepening: Chapel 1

 

 

 

 

Top

Cappella 1

Sant'Antonio

Chapel 2

  • The Pietą, painted terracotta work of the 16th century is attributed to Giovanni di Paolo Neri.

Deepening: Chapel 2

Top

Chapel 2

Chapel 3

  • A triptych of the 15th century is attributed to Sano di Pietro; in the center the Virgin enthroned with the child Jesus between San Bernardino and San Girolamo; above the triptych there are in two shields the Archangel and the Annunciation; below the Pieta with the Saints.

  • A precious reliquary of St. Bernardino, a work by Francesco di Antonio, 15th XV century.

  • On the left wall a San Bernardino, important work by Pietro di Giovanni Ambrosi of 1444, on the right a Sant'Elisabetta Hungary 15th century attributed to Girolamo di Benvenuto.

Deepening: Chapel 3

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top

Chapel 3

San Bernardino

Santa Caterina

Chapel 4

  • A Madonna in throne with the baby Jesus between St. Ambrose and St. Jerome; above the peak, there is a San Paul, a blessing Jesus and a San Pietro and finally in two shields the Archangel and the Annunciation. The 15th century work is attributed to a certain "Master of the Osservanza" unidentified: perhaps Sano di Pietro or Francesco di Bartolomeo Alfea.

Deepening: Chapel 4

Top

Chapel 4

Chapel 5

  • Four 15th century panels of a residue polyptych are attributed to Andrea di Bartolo and depicting four saints: St. John the Baptist, St. Francis, St. Peter, St. John the Evangelist. In the peaks above, Sant'Iacopo, Santa Chiara, San Deacon and Saint Paul.

Deepening: Chapel 5

Top

Chapel 5

Chapel 6

  • A Crucifixion with Saints is attributed to Bartolomeo Neroni, Riccio said.

Deepening: Chapel 6

Top

Chapel 6

Chapel 7

  • A 15th century coronation of the Virgin Mary with the Saints is attributed to Andrea della Robbia, wonderful work in earthenware, destroyed during the bombing of 1944 and then visibly restored.

Deepening: Chapel 7

Top

Chapel 7

Chapel 8

  • Virgin and Child Jesus of the 15th century, work attributed to Sano di Pietro, also called the Angelic of Siena.

Deepening: Chapel 8

Top

Chapel 8

The medallions along the sides of the entrance

  • In the internal front, the medallions by Andrea della Robbia, depicting St. Bonaventure and St. Lodovico, have been reassembled by the factory of the stones of Florence and placed here, rather than on the vault, as in origin.

  • Other medallions are on the ceiling: they are works in bas-relief in stucco, the originals are unfortunately been destroyed, but nicely redone respecting the original character by sculptors Buracchini, Corsini and painter B. Marzi.

Deepening: Medallions

 

 

Top

San Bonaventura

San Lodovico

The vestry

  • In the Sacristy is enthroned on the group of seven characters the famous 15th century terracotta polychrome Pietą, this work desired by Magnifico Pandolfo Petrucci, as his funerary mausoleum, was commissioned to G. Cozzarelli, the architect of the church.

  • Other works of that era are a wash basin in marble with the Petrucci's arms and the Petrucci's tombstone always by Cozzarelli, while the wooden altar carved by Antonio di Neri Barili.

Deepening: Vestry

Top

 

The cemetery crypt and the Petrucci's family tomb

  • The striking cemetery crypt is located just below the central body of the Basilica and is built in red brick with vaulted ceilings supported by huge pillars are also always in brick red. In it are preserved the graves of famous men such as James Cozzarelli, Pietro degli Orioli and Francesco di Giorgio Martini.

  • Petrucci's family tomb is located just below the sacristy and is flanked by the sarcophagus of Celia Petrucci (1557), the beautiful maiden of Siena.

Deepening: Cemetery crypt

Deepening: Petrucci's family tomb

Top

Cemetery crypt

Petrucci's family tomb

The cell of S. Bernardino

  • At the bottom right of the corridor entrance to the monastery is the reconstruction of San Bernardino cell consists of two small rooms.

  • In the first narrow compartment, which develops entering on the left, there is a display case containing works of art, relics and garments of the saint.

  • In the second room there is an altar and a stone bust of the saint.

Deepening: Cell of San Bernardino

 

 

Top

Cell of San Bernardino

Cell of San Bernardino

The Pandolfo's loggia, the terrace and the panorama

  • Left the cell of S. Bernardino, continue to the entrance corridor, at the end of which there is a door that leads to the museum Aurelio Castelli. On the left there are two other doors leading respectively to the priest of the church and the crypt. Turning instead to the right we arrive at the refectory through the Pandolfo's loggia, a bright atrium with windows overlooking the rear terrace where you can see the panoramic view of Siena and its silhouette.

Deepening: Pandolfo's loggia

 

 

 

 

 

Top

Pandolfo's loggia

Back terrace

Panorama

The external cloister and the internal court

  • The description of the Basilica of the Osservanza is completed by recalling the outer cloister from which you can enter the convent and the courtyard where you can admire the Basilica, which comes off in the sky blue.

Deepening: Cloisters

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top

Monastery entrance

External cloister

Internal court

 


Basilica dell'Osservanza
Strada dell'Osservanza, 7
53100 - SIENA
Telefono della Parrocchia e del Convento 0577-332448